Friday, December 29, 2006

Power overwhelming

I fly RC aircraft from time to time. I also build em - but there are many days when the wind dictates the direction of my flights more than I'd like - its bloody windy here most of the time. My other issue is that I hate gassers ( noisy nitro powered planes, very powerful but as noisy and exhaust producing as a car without a silencer ) so I only fly electrics, which are quieter, super clean because they run using NiCads or Lithium batteries but are fairly low on motor power - in other words most of them have "Toy" motors fixed in gorgeous airframe bodies... it was tragic .. and at the end of the day ..

The wind was still the enemy.

Not anymore.

Some brilliant chap invented brushless motors, another brilliant chap shoved them into the world of RC. A brushless motor is the Tyrannosaurus Rex of electric motors in the RC world - its efficient, super quiet and packs an ENORMOUS amount of power.

So me being me, went and bought myself the biggest one I could get my hands on, in hopes of defeating the enemy and getting my planes to go where *I* want them.

So I hooked it up, shoved a Master Airscrew propeller onto it and paired it with a 11.1 volt lithium polymer battery pack, then got a little nervous and bolted it onto a big chunk of wood from my backyard to prevent it from .. ermm .. taking off - and taking my fingers with it by accident during its first test run. I then powered the system up and turned the throttle on my transmitter up slowwly.. and it all came to life... a quiet humming and decent breeze at 10% power - not very impressive.
So I shoved the throttle up to max.

Big mistake...

the humming turned into a racket and the breeze turned into a gale force wind... and my quiet little engine lifted up the big ass half a kilo of chunky wood.

Now I have another dilemma - I need a bigger airplane.

lol

No comments: